See & Do
- Approximately 15 minutes from the sandy beaches of Winterton, Waxham and Sea Palling – plus Wroxham Barns, Hunters Yard and East Ruston Gardens.
- Boat and cycle hire nearby at Ludham Bridge, within walking distance of the property.
- Open Broads can be found at Hickling, Horning, Wroxham and Salhouse – for sailing and motor cruising – and annual summer regattas. There is plenty of space at the cottage for boat trailers.
- Canoe Hire – thecanoeman.com
- Bewilderwood, 3 miles away, is a curious family treehouse adventure.
About the Farm
Ludham Hall is farmed by the Ritchie Family which includes environmentally managed grazing marshes divided by a network of small waterways within the boundaries of three Broadland Rivers, the Ant, the Bure and the Thurne, providing precious habitats for a wide variety of birdlife.
A riverbank walk offers access to a completely unspoilt corner of Norfolk, connecting a network of footpaths around Ludham, alongside the river, across fields and through marshland and reedbeds.
There is a wide variety of wildlife on the farm, and we work closely with the Hawk and Owl Trust to improve the habitat of the Barn Owl. Bird surveys are regularly carried out, with up to 84 different species being sighted in recent years, along with 8 different species of dragonfly and 9 different species of butterfly.
There are beautiful sandy beaches within a few minutes’ drive of Ludham. Waxham is a personal favourite for winter dog walking, whereas Sea Palling is lifeguarded and dog free throughout summer, so perfect for family holidays.
Horsey Gap is home to a large colony of seals, and there are several popular beachside cafes including the Dunes Beach Café at Winterton and Smallsticks Café at Cart Gap, Eccles, both serving breakfast, lunch and fabulous homemade cakes.
- Friends of Horsey Seals
- Bure Valley Railway
- Fairhaven Gardens
- The beautiful and historic city of Norwich, with theatres, cinemas, cathedral and castle
- And Great Yarmouth for the Pleasure Beach and horse racing.
There is a mini-supermarket and deli in Ludham and larger supermarkets can be found at Stalham and Wroxham, although our guests often book a supermarket delivery for arrival.
The Curious Treehouse Adventure
Environmental Study Centre for the Broads
Cycle Hire from Ludham and Bewilderwood
National cycle network
Environmentally friendly sailing on the Norfolk Broads. The authentic 1930’s Broads sailing experience.
Sailing courses on the Norfolk Broads
Painting courses with Linda Matthews, Broad Skies Gallery, Ludham
Canoe and kayak hire, and guided trails
Gifts, Crafts and Junior Farm
Comprehensive directory of activities and attractions in Broadland
Preserving Wildlife and Nature Reserves
Historic houses, buildings, gardens and parks
Download free walking guides
Official visitor website for Norfolk
Official guide to the historic city of Norwich
What’s on, and book tickets
Blakeney Point Seal Trips
Learn to surf in Cromer